All Pathways Training Opportunity
Date and Time: Tuesday 29 January 2019, 9.00am – 5.00pm
Location: YH/001, Research Centre for Social Sciences, University of York
Taking time out to examine your career can sometimes seem an unnecessary break away from your research, however, it is time well spent if it results in you taking a proactive and strategic approach to your career planning.
Designed specifically for social science researchers and PhD students, this one-day workshop aims to enhance your knowledge of the non-academic career sector, raise awareness of your personal and professional strengths and link this information together to enable you to make informed decisions about your career. We will investigate employer needs, job seeking strategies and how to promote yourself beyond the realms of academic.
Underpinned by recognised career theory and using experiential learning techniques, the workshop will involve presentations, interactive exercises and discussion, with resources and materials relevant to social scientists. The tutor is an academic career specialist with a background in research and over 20 years’ experience in HE career guidance and education.
- 09.30 Welcome, introductions and contracting
- 09.50 Basic theory of career planning and transition
- 10.20 Recognising strengths and opportunities
- 11.00 Review of skills and interests
- 11.50 Categorising skills and interests
- 13.30 Examining the job market and employer requirements
- 14.15 Linking personal strengths with employer needs
- 14.45 Researching the job market and group presentations
- 16.00 Review and reflection
- 16.15 Peer coaching and action planning
You must have either a York, Hull, Sheffield, Sheffield Hallam, Bradford, Leeds or Manchester Met University email address and be a member of the White Rose DTP to be eligible to register.
We will be prioritising five tickets per institution, so please do sign up asap so you don’t miss out.
Travel Arrangements: Students are responsible for arranging their own transport to and from this event. You can claim reimbursement for reasonable travel expenses upon presentation of original receipts/tickets (no photocopies or credit card receipts will be accepted) and completion of the relevant expense claim form/process via your Department/School.