AQM Taster Day
The ESRC White Rose DTP is delighted to invite you to an Advanced Quantitative Methods Taster Event, hosted and chaired by Professor Andy Bell.
The aim of this training event is to provide doctoral researchers with an introduction to a range of advanced quantitative methods and analytical techniques that are commonly used in social science. It will give participants the opportunity to identify methods relevant to their own research. Most of the techniques discussed here are then examined in depth at training workshops later in the academic year, so by attending this session you can determine which further sessions to attend.
This Advanced Quantitative Methods training is compulsory for ESRC funded PhD research students who have just embarked on their first year of PhD study i.e.:
Students who are starting their PhD study on a +3 Scholarship in academic year 2021/2022 and students who completed their Master in Social Sciences Research in the 2020/2021 academic year who are now transitioning to their PhD study on a 1+3 Scholarship.
All non-ESRC funded students from the WRDTP partner institutions are also welcome to attend this training
- Learn about a number of quantitative research methods used in the social science
- Learn about future quantitative methods training run by the DTP
- Learn about the resources available on the DTP VIRE for understanding and learning quantitative methods.
Andrew BellAQUALM Director, University of Sheffield
Meng Le ZhengResearch Associate, Sheffield Methods Institute
Aneta PiecutSenior Lecturer in Quantitative Social Sciences, Sheffield Methods Institute
Siobhan McAndrewSenior Lecturer in Politics, Philosophy and Economics, Sheffield Methods Institute
This training session will be delivered online – a link to the training course will be provided to delegates.
PLEASE NOTE: Our online training sessions will be recorded and will be available on the VIRE in an edited format for those students who cannot attend. If you wish to join this session but do not wish for your contributions to be included in the edited VIRE resource, please ensure that you select NO when prompted in the online booking form regarding recording.
- 1.30pm - 1.45pm
- Andrew Bell, AQM Director (University of Sheffield)
- 1.45pm - 2.05pm
- Social Network Analysis
- Siobhan McAndrew, Senior Lecturer in Politics, Philosophy and Economics (Sheffield Methods Institute)
- 2.05pm - 2.25pm
- Meng Le Zhang, Research Associate (Sheffield Methods Institute)
- 2.25pm - 2.45pm
- Mixed Methods
- Aneta Piekut, Senior Lecturer in Quantitative Social Sciences (Sheffield Methods Institute)
- 2.45pm -
- Conclusions, further resources and final questions