The ESRC WRDTP Postdoctoral Fellowship Scheme is aimed at those in the immediate postdoctoral stage of their career, to provide an opportunity to consolidate their PhD through developing publications, their networks, their research and professional skills.
The posts may be based at any of the White Rose DTP partner universities, and will be fixed term positions on either a one-year full-time or two year part-time contract. The Fellowship will include salary costs, and additional funds may be applied for to support research activities including travel, subsistence, conference attendance, training and fieldwork.
7 x fellowships are available to start 1 October 2021.
The Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) is pleased to announce the call for applications to the fourth Postdoctoral Fellowship (PDF) Scheme – aimed at providing a career development opportunity for those in the immediately postdoctoral stage of their career, and the opportunity to consolidate their PhD through developing publications, their networks, and their research and professional skills.
The fellows must be located on an accredited DTP or CDT pathway and have completed their PhD at a research organisation that is part of a DTP or CDT. Applicants are not required to have previously held an ESRC-funded studentship in order to be eligible to apply.
- Have been awarded a PhD or have passed their viva voce with minor amendments by the application date of 23rd March 2021 and have been awarded their PhD by the fellowship start date of 1st October 2021
- Have no more than 12 months active postdoctoral experience since passing their viva voce (allowing for career breaks) by 23rd March 2021
Through being embedded within a high-quality environment for research and training, the fellow will have the opportunity to undertake a varied programme of activities supporting their continued development for careers both within and outside of academia.
The grants provide funding for up to one year full-time, or up to two years part-time to give fellows time to prepare for a successful career in research either within or beyond academia.
Proposals are welcome from both single disciplines and combinations of disciplines but the fellowship activities must be based at least 50% within the social sciences. We particularly encourage proposals that involve the use of advanced quantitative methods (AQM), data skills or engagement with partners in the business sector.
The Application Process
The White Rose DTP is running a two stage process:
Stage 1 – Expression of Interest
Requires all potential applicants to email the following documents, using the specific nomenclature provided, to firstname.lastname@example.org using SURNAME_FIRST NAME_PDF_EOI as the subject line
- WRDTP ESRC PDF EoI Form – A PDF copy of your form entry will be emailed to you upon submission, please forward this to us via email (SURNAME_FIRST NAME_PDF_EOI)
- Please be aware that the form must be completed in one sitting. You can preview the form questions here.
- Short CV (SURNAME_FIRST NAME_CV)
In addition to emailing your expression of interest and CV to the WRDTP, you must also complete the following E&D Monitoring Form:
- Equality & Diversity Monitoring Form – Please note that responses to this form will be collected automatically so you do not need to email us a copy of your submission.
The deadline is 4pm, Thursday 14 January 2021.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their EOI by Friday 12 February 2021. Those applicants submitting full proposals will receive support from the institution to which they intend to undertake their fellowship.
Stage 2 – Full Application
Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete the following:
The deadline for full applications (from shortlisted candidates only) is 4pm Tuesday 23 March 2021.