AQUALM Taster Day
The ESRC White Rose DTP is delighted to invite you to an Advanced Qualitative Methods Taster Event, hosted and chaired by Dr Ana Manzano.
The aim of this training event is to provide doctoral researchers with an introduction to a range of advanced qualitative methods for social science research. It will give participants the opportunity to identify methods relevant to their own research. Most of the techniques discussed here are then examined in depth at training workshops later in the academic year, so by attending this session you can determine which further sessions to attend.
The training day will culminate with an informal interview with Dr Kim Allen, University of Leeds, in the form of a Podcast recording. Dr Allen will reflect on writing and publishing her first qualitative paper from her PhD. The paper is:
Allen, K., 2014. ‘Blair’s children’: young women as ‘aspirational subjects’ in the psychic landscape of class. The Sociological Review, 62(4), pp 760-779
You can preview this paper by following this link.
This Advanced Qualitative Methods training is compulsory for ESRC funded PhD research students who have just embarked on their first year of PhD study i.e.:
Students who are starting their PhD study on a +3 Scholarship in academic year 2019/2020 and students who completed their Master in Social Sciences Research in the 2018/2019 academic year who are now transitioning to their PhD study on a 1+3 Scholarship.
All non-ESRC funded students from the WRDTP partner institutions are also welcome to attend this training.
AQUALM Director – training organiserAssociate Professor in Public Policy, School of Sociology and Social Policy, University of Leeds
Speaker: Foucauldian Genealogy and Qualitative Documentary AnalysisAssociate Professor in Social Theory, School of Sociology and Social Policy, University of Leeds
Speakers: Online Participatory Qualitative Methods- the Covid Realities projectBirmingham Fellow, Department of Social Policy, Sociology and Criminology, University of Birmingham
- Research Fellow, Department of Health Sciences, University of York
Speaker: Doing Structured and Unstructured Qualitative ObservationsResearch Fellow, University of Bradford
Speaker: Cognitive and think-out loud interviews in mixed-methods studiesAssociate Professor in Behavioural Decision Making, Leeds University Business School
Speaker: Counter-narratives and critical race methodologiesSenior Lecturer in Education Studies
Podcast: Qualitative paper writing and publishingAssociate Professor (Teaching & Research), University of Leeds
This training session will be delivered via Blackboard Collaborate.
PLEASE NOTE: Our online training sessions will be recorded and will be available on the VIRE in an edited format for those students who cannot attend. If you wish to join this session but do not wish for your contributions to be included in the edited VIRE resource, please ensure that you select NO when prompted in the online booking form regarding recording.
AQUALM Taster Day programme
- 9.30am - 9.35am
- Welcome and Introduction
- Dr Ana Manzano, AQUALM Director
- 9.35am - 10.05am
- Foucauldian Genealogy and Qualitative Documentary Analysis
- Dr Tom Campbell, Associate Professor in Social Theory, University of Leeds
- 10.10am - 10.40am
- Doing Structured and Unstructured Qualitative Observations
- Dr Natasha Alvarado, Senior Research Fellow, University of Bradford
- 10.40am - 10.50am
- Comfort Break
- 10.50am - 11.20am
- Counter-narratives and Critical Race Methodologies
- Dr Manuel Madriaga, Senior Lecturer in Education Studies, Sheffield Hallam University
- 11.20am - 11.50am
- Online Participatory Qualitative Methods - the COVID Realities Project
- Dr Maddy Power, University of York and Dr Kayleigh Garthwaite, University of Birmingham
- 11.50am - 12.00pm
- Key learning points from the morning sessions
- Dr Ana Manzano
- 12.00pm - 1.00pm
- Lunch Break
- Open Mic from 12.30pm
- 1.00pm - 1.30pm
- Cognitive and Think-out Loud Interviews in Mixed methods Studies
- Dr Yasmina Okan, Associate Professor in Behavioural Decision Making, Leeds Business School, University of Leeds
- 1.30pm - 2.00pm
- Qual-Lighthouse Podcast Recording Presents: An interview with Dr Kim Allen, University of Leeds
- This will be an informal and fun interview with Dr Allen who will reflect on writing and publishing her first qualitative paper from her PhD.
- 2.00pm - 2.15pm
- Summary & Closing
- Dr Ana Manzano