Stress Reduction Techniques/Creative Thinking in Research
This session will cover ‘Stress Reduction Techniques in Research’ in the morning & ‘Creative Thinking in Research’ in the afternoon
This course for PhD students is designed to help with developing techniques for self-care around the research process and within the research process while self-isolating or under lockdown.
It focuses on developing resilience in research and includes the following:
- Mindfulness approaches to time-management
- Stress reducing approaches to the research process such as note-taking at early stage research and in other contexts
- Reducing anxiety that causes academic writer’s block
- Using the body as a way to reduce stress and facilitate enhanced creative thinking in research
- Gamification techniques to reduce stress in research using hand/eye coordination
- Approaches to enhancing sleep which is important for concentration and emotional balance
- Group sharing about stress
- Emotional self-care in the context of managing research responsibilities
- Mindfulness approaches to planning
- Mindfulness approaches to academic writing
- Research engagement-peer support in research practice-sharing
Upon completion of this course students will have an enhanced confidence in:
- Reducing anxiety around the research process
- Time management
- Building resilience
- Self-care around and within the research process
Dr Catriona Ryan
Dr Ryan has provided this workshop to Doctoral students in 20 universities and the feedback is always very positive. For example, at the University of Lincoln students reported increased confidence of 36% in academic writing; In 2018 Cardiff University official feedback reported increased confidence levels of 30% in academic writing; in 2019 Cardiff University reported feedback as high as 43% for this workshop. At Swansea University the feedback reported a 25% increase in confidence. The methodology is also the basis of Dr Ryan’s own research into writing apprehension.
Dr Ryan also includes a type of motivational approach to her workshops to inspire confidence in workshop participants. All testimonials may be viewed on Dr Ryan’s website: www.scriptorcube.com
This event will be accessed via a Zoom link. Students who book onto this course will be sent a link before the event via email.
PLEASE NOTE: This training session will not be recorded. Dr Ryan’s sessions do book up very quickly and we apologise in advance to anyone unable to book on.